Hello from WCR Region 9! I was honored to be elected as the 2015 National Regional Vice President for Region 9 and have been very busy working within the Region.
In January I traveled to New Mexico where I had the pleasure of installing the Local Chapter Officers for the WCR Albuquerque Chapter January 8th with an additional day conducting training for their Executive Team on developing a Business Plan, Organization Chart, Committees, recruiting and retention goals as well as building their Value Package. This Chapter is rebuilding and expanding! It was great to see their enthusiasm and litany of new ideas for programs and events. They are hard at work planning their big fundraiser – an Annual Fashion Show scheduled for October 22nd – where they are expecting over 200 attendees! We are in close contact as they continue to enhance their Chapter.
Then on January 10th, it was off to Santa Fe for a little sightseeing and enjoying the snow! I visited with the WCR Santa Fe Chapter Officers and Board Members during an evening get together on Monday night, January 12th, and installed their Officers on January 13th! What a great group of leaders in this Chapter – they are working closely with their Local Board, have their programs in place for the year, busy planning several events for their members and focusing on recruiting & retention (with 95% of their members as REALTORS®). The Chapter holds their Business Resource Meetings at the historic La Posada Hotel which is a beautiful and serene setting offering all kinds of history – ask me about the Ghost Stories they swear are true!
I’ve received invitations to visit several of the Louisiana Local Chapters as well as their State Chapter and truly looking forward to those visits as well. Oklahoma has 2-Local Chapters, Central Oklahoma Chapter (chartered in 2014) and Tulsa Chapter and plans are in process for visiting them during the year. Arkansas does not currently have any Local Chapters but they do have “Members at Large” so contacts have been made to ensure they continue to receive value and answer questions they may have.
Many members have asked questions about the Regions within Women’s Council and how they operate. The following is an overview for your information:
- WCR National consists of nine (9) Geographical Regions. Texas is part of Region 9 which also includes: Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico and Oklahoma. The other Regions are:
- Region 1: Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia
- Region 2: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin
- Region 3: Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, Nebraska, South Dakota
- Region 4: Arizona, Colorado, Montana, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming
- Region 5: Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont
- Region 6: Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania
- Region 7: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina
- Region 8: Alaska, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Oregon, Washington
- The National Regional Vice President (RVP) is elected for a one (1) year term by the Regional Committee and is a member of the National Governing Board as well as the National Nominating Committee. The RVPs supervise the work of the Council in their respective regions and act as the representative of the President in matters that are assigned to them.
- The Regional Committee is composed of: current RVP, most recent RVP willing and able to serve, current State Chapter Presidents, current State Chapter Presidents-Elect, current State Governors and RVP-elect (upon selection by the Regional Committee at the May meeting).
- The Regional Committee’s responsibilities generally consists of:
- Annually elect the next year’s RVP from among members who have served on the Regional Committee within the past three (3) years.
- Elect one member annually from among its Regional Committee members to serve on the national WCR Nominating Committee as an Alternate in case the RVP cannot serve.
- Hear statements from all candidates from within the Region for the position of national WCR Financial Secretary and makes appropriate recommendation to the national WCR Nominating Committee.
- Determine the annual per-member Regional Assessment, if any, to be billed in January. Assessments are billed based on the number of members December 31.
- Prepare and disseminate conference information to members
- Develop and approve an annual regional budget
- Review regional financial statements
- Record and disseminate to Regional Committee members the report of Regional Committee meetings.
- Chaired by current RVP at the Midyear Meeting. Chaired jointly by RVP & RVP-Elect at the Fall Annual Conference.
- Proxy voting and/or representation not allowed.
Please plan to attend our WCR Region 9 Committee Meeting which will be held 4:30-5:30 pm, Friday, May 15th during our National Meeting in Washington DC.
It is my honor and privilege to serve,
2015 National RVP-Region 9